NYT best selling author

Friday, June 04, 2010

Thank you, teachers!

It's the end of the school year and I just want to give the teachers a little nod for being awesome.

When I speak to teacher/librarian groups, I talk about what a difference they make in kids' lives. The hard part about that is that they don't often find out how they affected a student.

I talk about two teachers in my life who each did something small to make my life change dramatically. And if you ever are in attendance at one of these speeches, you'll likely hear the whole story. But in a nutshell, these two teachers did things that were above and beyond the call of duty, even though to them, it probably didn't feel like much.

Teachers, thank you for making a difference in the lives of your students. You may not realize that a word of encouragement from you today may change the course of a student's life. Hopefully 25 years from now, they find you on Facebook to tell you what you meant to them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your blog! My teacher helped me get a job where I worked for two years. The boss of that job helped me get a great internship. That internship changed my life and made me figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life! I now have a target in mind that I will try with all my might to achieve. All of this thanks to my teacher!!!! It's like a domino affect. I owe her so much!

Igor said...

Hey J. R. Ward,

My name is Igor and I am editor of the Lit!, A Brazilian publication scheduled for release in September (right after the Biennial), which aims to stimulate young people's taste in books. For this, we are organizing a volume one absolutely spectacular and we'd appreciate you for that. It would be an honor for us if he could give us an interview. The questions would be sent by email and can be answered by Jule 30.
And if not asking too much, we would ask for an autographed copy of "Wake" to draw. This is because the community of fans Lisa McMan is huge (in the social network Orkut, the most popular in Brazil, with 75% of Brazilian Internet registrations, the group Wake hits the home of 30.000) and it draws the attention of young people who are the main target in our task. In the first volume, we Alyson Noël, Becca Fitzpatrick, Sarwat Chadda, Lauren Kate, Danielle Trussoni and if you agree, you.

We look back until Jule 15 at the latest

A big hug

Igor Silva

Kim Beaumont said...

I'm a former English teacher (15 yrs) and a new jr high/HS librarian this year. I've tried to read as many YA books as possible to recommend to the students. I picked Wake to read, started it at 3 pm and had it finished by 7. It was a fantastic book. I promptly recommended it on the library blog and bought Fade and Gone to read and then to put in the library. I loved all three books!!