In honor of the release of FADE (Wake, Book 2), and also on behalf of the 859 people who have tagged me for 25 Random Things on Facebook, I give you a glimpse behind the scenes of Cabel Strumheller, book character extraordinaire.
25 Random Things about Cabe:
1. Sometimes, when I think about my mom, I can’t really remember what she looks like. I hate that.
2. I feel kind of guilty that I don’t think about her much at all, and then I wonder if she ever thinks about me. Probably not.
3. When I was in the hospital, I read a lot. Like, everything on the book cart. Even the Judy Blume stuff, which wasn’t too bad, actually.
4. I hate mowing the grass, especially the back yard behind the shed. My heart always pounds a little, like something’s going to jump out at me, even though I know it won’t. You know what I mean?
5. When I’m at school, I usually feel like I’m acting. Most people there have never seen the real me.
6. Sometimes I miss living with my brother Charlie. Back when it was just the two of us, I mean. After dad, but before Megan came into the picture, even though she’s totally cool and I like her a lot.
7. But if I think about it, I really do like being alone sometimes...I like that quiet house creakiness right before I fall asleep.
8. I like the sound of Janie breathing even better, all quiet and smooth, when she’s just falling asleep.
9. I’ve always wanted a pet. A dog, probably. But I really get scared sometimes that I wouldn’t be around enough for it. That I’d let it down and it would be all lonely ‘n shit. There’s enough of that in the world.
10. After I met Janie and figured her out a little, I started watching The X-Files reruns. She’s not so strange after all, you know? Compared to that, I mean.
11. I would totally never do a Facebook page unless I had to for work. I mean, what’s the point? It would just be acting all over again. That gets a little tiring.
12. Unless Janie signed up too.
13. Which she totally wouldn’t.
14. Hell, though...I dunno. She might, now that I think of it. Just so she could spy on people.
15. You know, that’s not a bad idea...
16. Changing the subject: my favorite color is green. Not like Kelly green or grass green or that disgusting mint color that reminds me of old people and babies. More like the color of dried herbs. Sage green. That’s it.
17. Sometimes after dark I get the board out. There’s a skate park by the school. I’m pretty good, still.
18. I really freaking hope I can keep this car forever.
19. I have no idea what to think of Janie’s mother. She is the strangest person I’ve seen, and believe me, I know some strange people.
20. I can’t stand it when I don’t know what’s going on.
21. I enjoy reading the news. I also like knowing a lot of random shit. It amuses me to see people’s reactions.
22. That time when Janie hit me in the gut with the door handle after the dance? I almost didn’t follow her. I mean, god. Who would follow a girl like that?
23. I know, I know. Me.
24. I really like to cook, and if anybody wants to give me shit about that, I’ll f*cking punch their lights out. Cooking’s dope. It’s like getting a chemistry formula right or putting a car together. Recipes, instructions, formulas...it’s all the same.
25. Some people think guys like me don’t exist. That’s a lie. Don’t believe it. I’m right here. We’re everywhere. The quiet ones. If you can look away from the shiny for a minute, you’ll see us.