NYT best selling author

Friday, January 19, 2007

Researching is FUN

You may disagree, but I think researching is a fascinating adventure.

I'm working on a new novel that takes place in 1930, in the town of my birth. The setting is one I know well -- not because it exists anymore (well, the land is still there), but because I've spent so many hours researching it that I feel like I know it well -- I can picture the buildings, the landscape, the views... yes, the view hasn't changed much in 80 years. And I've been to the site many times.

I'm so excited about this story. Sometimes there's nothing more exciting than real life in a small town in 1930. I'll tell you more as I make some progress.

Meanwhile, I'm reading a history of the 1920s, so I have a very good understanding of the political, social, and economic environment leading up to my story.

Next time: Fun slang words from the 20s and 30s. Some of them might surprise you.

Lisa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with you on the joys of researching. There is the joy of learning new stuff, and of course the joy of procrastinating writing your book. A great two for one deal.

Oh and I cannot wait for those slang words!

Buggy said...

It's good to love your job.

Anonymous said...

And it's interesting how many writers DON'T do research. I wrote about authenticity in my blog not too long ago.
Glaring errors take me out of a story like someone using a cell phone in 1990 or a computer in 1980. My students had difficulty believing that at one time TVs were all black and white!

Anonymous said...

I have GREAT admiration for anyone who writes historical fiction and must do tons of research. I agree with ORION, though. Authenticity is essential, but researching a story written in 1830?! God, I'd fail miserably.

A good friend of mine, Linda Holeman, writes novels in that era and she amazes me with her patience (she wrote The Linnet Bird, sold in a dozen countries, as well as The Moonlit Cage).

Hats off to you from a fellow author who avoids research.